8 Most Common Reasons A Tile Roof Will Leak
1. A Broken Tile- Replace the tile.
2. Flawed Flashings- A flashing is a piece of metal that covers an area where the roof changes direction or where there is a protrusion like a pipe or a chimney.
3. Alignment- All of the pieces of your roof fit together at top, sides and bottom.
4. Flawed Seaming or Pointing- You will see some sections where the field tile is covered by a trim tile and there is concrete in this transition. This concrete work is called POINTING. If this concrete is cracked or there are areas that are missing it must be repaired or replaced.
5. Damming- This occurs on a roof when leaves and other items fall into the cracks that channel water flow. Valleys and roof-to-wall areas are the most common areas affected by damming.
6. Bad Design and Workmanship
7. Rusted Trim Nails
8. Animals- Mice, rats, bats, opossums, and squirrels love roofs. They never pay rent so you must block their entry points.